Monday, February 9, 2015

Comedic Movies That Don't Stand Up To Time

I saw "The Apartment" (1960) Best Picture Oscar winner. That movie is ridiculously amazing. Keep in mind director Billy Wilder made this movie in English, when he barely spoke it himself. Every line in this movie, is paid off later, or a moment or a running gag. There is also subtlety I missed watching on DVD, but got to see on the big screen...on film, that I didn't even catch the first 100 times I've watched it. I've studied this film, practically frame by frame. It's the best movie ever made. Shame there are people who will never get to experience this type of filmmaking ever again.

This movie...resonates through time. I can watch it at 10 years old and appreciate the goofy period. At 20 appreciating the story. 30, I saw the sadness and subtext (which there is a TON). And now close to 40, a remembrance. I feel when I watch it again at 50, it will mean something different. Particularly if I've a family by then.

So, it got me thinking about movies I thought were good when I was a kid, now when I look at it, they are terrible.
One name stands out above all: Chevy Chase. He ruined every movie I've watched now. I'm not sure why...I don't think he's funny. He is awful. Talentless and awful. In fact, National Lampoons, in general are morons. Smart morons, but morons nonetheless. This was the nerds striking back...for absolutely no reason.

"National Lampoons Vacation": not one laugh about this movie. It's really boring actually. And the wait to the end to their destination feels more like a welcomed execution than accomplishment. This is a random mess of a movie. Nothing creative or groundbreaking. Strange that it got so much traction.

"Caddyshack" isn't funny. I don't care what you corporate 'tards think, it's really not even meant to be funny. You think it should be funny because of the talent. But keep in mind, it's so desperate to want laughs, it introduced a dancing gopher. To say you don't like "Caddyshack" would draw a ton of hate. Not sure why. There was one time, I got an earful for someone who didn't even see the movie. That's the nature of this movie.

"Fletch" is really bad. Not a single laugh. It's a costume show where people around them are so stupid, they refuse to believe he's who he says he isn't. How did he get away with this? Because in the 80's we were coked up and in a fog.

"Animal House": have you watched this movie lately? People are convinced this movie is funny. In reality, it's actually kinda'...scary. A place where a brotherhood is put together so they can throw parties and act the fool. Or at least unleash John Belushi. John Belushi isn't funny. He's sad. A buffoon who wasted film on buffoonery. Keep in mind, he self medicated himself because he knew he wasn't funny. Try to keep up. It's really a disjointed movie, being held together by strong performances and oddball non-sequitors. This type of comedy has been surpassed, so the newer viewers will be confused why their parents love this movie so much. College will eventually become less and less important to teens, so this will even be more sad.

"Ghostbusters": This one hurt to put on this list. I grew up with this movie. Loved it so much I watched it till my VHS copy became spaghetti. It's not funny. And the special effects are dated now, so it made it worst. Bill Murray is decent. But...I've never understood the Bill Murray thing. Is he suppose to be funny by NOT being funny? Does he think the world is dumber than him? If you're trying to be confusing as to your intention, it's working.

"Blues Brothers" there's a darkness to this movie that is indescribable. Maybe because Belushi OD'd. But, more than likely, what's this movie suppose to be? They get a call from God in order to save an orphanage they need to put their band back together for a fund raiser. Weird. Is it a music video?...yes. Is it a drama? Yes. Is it a comedy? I'm not sure. I didn't laugh. But it had amazing production value.

Maybe I just hope John Landis gets chopped in half by a helicopter.

No comments:

Post a Comment