Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Insecurity Of Story

When I was in film school I wrote some insane concepts. My ideas flowed like sand. I had zero fear of what was down because I didn't know what was good or bad. I knew I could get the feedback of my fellow filmmakers. Nowadays, people are too busy, too involved in their own projects or just plain don't give a fuck. Back in the day, that's all we had.

So it's hard to find some people who will sit down with you and develop your script. Near impossible, it seems like. Or people you trust that can give you input. Most are in their own world. I found some who I've consulted really are ignorant to what is good story. I am one of those people. I'm glad people haven't given me pitches to their own ideas. I'd be bad at it, because sometimes the topic doesn't interest me. This becomes a mad dash to making something that you can eventually lord over others. Yes, I'll say it, since others think it but don't. The moment when your project transcends others who want to do what you do is sublime. That feeling that you are validated by a group of your peers for crafting genius is addicting. Which is why I think Clint Eastwood still does it. I'm convinced he will die if he were not able to tell his stories anymore.

There's a story in the 70's. Coppola & Lucas use to scream box office receipts at each other driving past each other in Northern California. I think at the time, Coppola had made "The Rain People" & for Lucas, it was "American Graffiti." Lucas won that war, we've now see. "Star Wars" demolished anything Coppola has ever done (box office wise). Coppola destroyed Lucas in terms of artistic merit in the "Godfather" movies. Both have created long lasting imprints on film. This conflict is good. And creates amazing stories. I think our generation lacks this type of friendly combatants. We live in a society where everyone gets a trophy. We skate on people's egos. And don't want to rock the boat. I wish I had that. But, I've no peers. That's not to say I sit atop a mountain. Quite the opposite, I've no one who really shares this passion as much anymore. Most have quit. Others...refuse to do this legwork. It's a painful journey, that I wouldn't wish anyone drag their families into. A lone wolf perpetuates this competition. Imagine if you had a kick ball and no one to roll it to.

And now I have a production script I'd like to kick around and no one to help flesh out what needs to be done for emotional impact. Do I have faith in the story? Yes. Do I want others to see the potential? Yes. But I also want them to dissect and ask questions. The way I think that Zoetrope crew had back in the 70's. I wish I had a mentor like Hal Ashby or John Schlesinger. I know they'd be harsh but fair. I think back at all these commentaries during the making of "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid." Young bucks. With director George Roy Hill & legendary screenwriter William Goldman. Just the faith and confidence these two went into the movie with. I want that.

No comments:

Post a Comment