Thursday, February 12, 2015

Addendum To Script Reading

I sent my short film to my sister Jenie. She's an avid reader. I figure she's very driven to read anything. Keeps herself really in the know of things, because she is off the grid. A hermit, some would say.

So the notes I got back were...that she glossed over it and if I didn't explain the time travel aspect, she'd been lost (nevermind that it's alternate universe). In others...she didn't read it. Then proceeded to pitch me an idea about her eccentric friend Amanda if I wanted to do a long suffering chick flick. Quite frankly, Amanda sounds like you'd want to murder her. Which is always good for film. NOT.

So here's what I gathered. My sister is a bitch. She knows it too. Proud of it. She doesn't mince words, nor does she ever let your yapping prevent her from adding her own thoughts. Usually they are incongruous to anything you just said. She really thinks you're that important. That's fine. I knew that going in. In fact, I was hoping she'd shed her own cloud on my project. Seeing that I've made a few movies, and she's made none. She is the perfect candidate for getting feedback.

Why?

Because she isn't supportive in the least. And that's good, because TOO many people blow shit into your ear. Don't get me wrong, she'll throw you a bone. Such as "that's unique and people like something different." But that has nothing to do with complete immersion. She is the audience you have to win over.

She is a writer herself. A good one too. She has a very acid way about her writing that if she ever applied herself, could be a female Bukowski. And I encourage her to put these thoughts in...at the very least, a blog. But she's content to let me read it. A very limited audience. I think as she is the first born, this idea that a creative endeavor isn't her cup of tea. Or that somehow she felt it to be more of a responsible person. She has creative outlets and I do try to include her into exercising it. Look at blogging and so forth. OR, possibly the more apt reason...she has thoughts and expressing them to the public is frightening.

I feel lucky to have someone who is so quick to dismiss my creation. Because if that person can get the core of what I'm going for down, I think the project will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment