Thursday, October 23, 2014

You're Going To Leave A Mark


Ever since I got a blu-ray player I revisit a lot of movies. The ones that pre-date a decade shot on film and re-transferred to 1080p is ridiculous. Let that be a lesson to you digital shooters, YOU’RE MOVIE IS NOT GOING TO LOOK GOOD 10 YEARS FROM NOW. This is a fact.

I’m also a very cheap sonuvabitch, so I basically go to the library to get movies. I’m really at the mercy of whatever they have. Tonight I checked out “Stir Of Echoes” A Kevin Bacon movie written and directed by a writer that did “Jurassic Park.” His name is David Koepp. I recall reading the script for.

As I was watching "Stir...", I thought to myself that it held up nicely. I’m not one for ghost spooky movies. Because they’re mostly corny. This seemed to focus more on the family aspect. And there are a lot of funny moments. It really enjoyed the idiosyncratic nature of family. In stressful issues, it’s not wrong to crack wise here and there. Or draw attention to the silly. It’s a silly ghost movie. But it’s also an amazing tightrope to negotiate. The movie does so expertly. Not to say it doesn’t have issues, and most of the time it’s frustrating, but it was a great watch. Enough for me to watch again with David Koepp’s commentary.

As I was sitting there, for whatever reason it never dawned on me when this movie was made. So I looked at the jewel case. I couldn’t believe it. 1999. The year was 1999. I was on my way to graduate school. In fact, I vaguely remember the VHS box at the video store (young folk…Google VCR). It was amazing. There is a five year old in the movie. The fucker is college age now. I kept wondering how was it possible this movie that looked relatively fresh (had you never seen the movie before) passes for something that could’ve been made today. The look was fine for today’s audience. There is nothing in the frame that you could latch onto that would pin it to any era (like the movie “Singles” ages BAD). It also got me thinking about what you do in life does have a long reach. I think most people grow insane in this business because it’s basically a time capsule of disaster. Potentially. Imagine if for the rest of your life, you are pinned to an event. I’d hate to be Leo from “Titanic.” I’m sure Leo can’t stand Jack. Probably never watched that movie since. You see the terrible acting. And, for a movie that is a period piece, it ages bad. Because of that fucking song. You know the one.

I think a lot of people in my business want to make something that is timeless. Yes, it’s near impossible to create something in its time that doesn’t eventually conjure up a period of time in someone’s life when they watch it. But there is a universal truth filmmakers want to reach. The “perfect movie” if you will. I think some would watch “The Godfather” and latch onto the universal truth of family and the American Dream. For me, it was always “The Apartment” (1960) Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine Best Picture winner. This movie spoke to me in different periods of my life. But the reoccurring idea is that life will give you what you need, not always what you want. Disappointment is a lifelong thing, but there are also moments of sweetness. That is genius. Watch it if you haven’t.

I just want to make a movie where it does come off as honest. I really rack my brain a lot about plot heavy ideas when I should really be dealing with characters. To be honest, I think a lot of times I’m too shallow to dig real characters out. Character is SO engaging. Plot driven becomes the bargain bin dual feature on some car wash DVD.

Entertaining people is great. Longevity, if you can 

No comments:

Post a Comment