Friday, October 31, 2014

Neck Tattoos

I see it everywhere, nowadays here in Los Angeles.

Exactly what is the end game with having a neck tat? I wager you really limit your options when you have something run the length of the side of your neck. Congressman isn't one of them.

My guess, you either got out of prison, going into prison or work at a prison. Either way, you aren't going near children, nor are you qualified for jobs which require that you don't wear turtlenecks. There is just an insanity that comes with this. A sort of..."I've made a decision in life and I'm sticking to it." I mean, you could be in a rock band, if you played an instrument. Or were any good. Or live on the road. You could be a carny where I can't imagine one without a neck tat. But you're not going to be a nanny. Nor will this ever get you a gig at a place that requires you are clinical, precise or require common sense. In other words, you better work for yourself.

I don't really care that you got it done. What I am interested in is how forthright this is. That you deny and reject society's view on you. Jobs...scratch that...careers are near impossible these days. Why would you do this to yourself? Why would you permanently take yourself out of the potential of something you'd want to do in life.

I had a co-worker who had sleeves of tattoos and near full body. He's planning on more. He works in the entertainment business. He is from South Dakota. If he ever went back home, he'd be visually qualified for a few things (that come to mind): Harley Davidson mechanic or tattoo artist. They aren't going to hire him to edit the nightly news. Nor would they trust him to. People with this next thing don't realize they've also put themselves in a place beyond poor decision making. The best part is the attitude. Don't judge a book by its cover. I understand if you were born with a birthmark that looks like Florida, but to purposely do a snake eating another snake up around the side of your body is asking for people to discount you from society. I don't trust a lawyer with this. Don't trust them anyway. But, imagine if your defense attorney had a dragon that ran the length of his shaved head. Would anyone take him seriously?

I feel the minute someone does this to themselves, they're not telling the world what an individual you are. You are throwing away your identity and subsequent future into a garbage can. And making others have to carry your burden. Don't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment