Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Ferguson, MO

This really has nothing to do with the politics of what happened. But, just a curiosity to me is why people tend to riot in their own neighborhood.

I came to Los Angeles at the tail end of Rodney King. There were still stores boarded up with burnt sidewalls. Glass and garbage everywhere downtown. The downtown area back in the early 90's was a ghost town. I use to drive down there just to explore. I could literally walk down the middle of Spring and not see a single car. People split into he different towns OUTSIDE of the city.

Around south Central, it was like an apocalypse. It was bad before. Made worst now that looters and rioters had taken over. I recall the repercussions of watching disenfranchised humans extended all the way out to Ohio. I do remember a group of black kids accosting us in the parking lot of Krogers in Kenwood which is an upper middle class Cincinnati suburb. Me, not one to back down, talked smack to this group. This was OUR neighborhood, and didn't want trash to be brought in. They were upset about something that happened 3,000 miles away. Or rather, probably using it as an excuse for their own frustration with society. Didn't matter who I was. Just that I was out and about with friends. And we weren't black.

Race relations isn't going to change. It's always going to be here. It's a recyclable thing. We've gotten SO much better, but it's never going to be eradicated. Many people understand this situation. They integrate. Learn to live around. And thrive. Some will always find reasons to protest or riot. I question those who have these types of conviction. Because, quite frankly a lot of police action will NEVER be part of our lives. Perhaps the inner city feels that they are the brunt of this. I wonder if any ever ask what they could do to change THAT dynamic. But it feels some may think they are pushing a very large rock up a hill. And it then comes crashing down again. I feel, if they collectively felt enough was enough, and looking within themselves to make the change, I think the culture will change. But, somehow, it seems, it isn't for them to change...but the system. So I think you find yourself in a draw. Where no one wants to back down.

Ferguson, though I've never been there, is a small town compared to Los Angeles. I would think the front lines of race relations could start in a smaller community where people wouldn't feel so suspicious of law enforcement. Trust me, my experience with them was never good. But, that just meant I kept out of their radar.

I hope this works out for the better. I think we've gotten too far to have it all kicked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment