Wednesday, October 15, 2014

White People In America And Racism

"There's so many white people in Ohio. You're from Ohio right? It's weird. I walk into a Subway, and it's white people serving me" Nicole said.

Nicole is a 20 something blonde haired, green-eyed girl from the San Fernando Valley, California. She'd gone on a trip to Cleveland, Ohio.

White people get such a bad rap for racism. I feel sorry for them really, because sometimes you don't even have to be white to get the brunt of slavery. Some Armenian is probably out there wondering how he got thrown into that mix, when he just arrived at Tom Bradley terminal weeks ago. Or some Greek is wondering why he's being made to feel guilty over the naming of a Washington NFL football team.

This is terrible. And I think why people do this. I think they still believe white privilege still goes on. White privilege is where a person is given preferential treatment because they're white. Whether it be a job, college entry or even better treatment at restaurants. This is comedically spoofed when Eddie Murphy went undercover as a white guy. He sees that when black people are around, they are genteel and elegant. But when blacks aren't in their peripheral, they throw parties on a bus.

Personally, those days are long dead. White people have a great attitude about merit. Most believe you have to earn it. Even the gross nepotism of the film industry isn't what we think it is. A very well known cinematographer is friends with my boss. He gave his son a job. In the vault. Which amounts to mean that he starts in the basement. Work his way up. This is the ONLY privilege I see today. That you may get an opening in the door but they better require you stick your foot through it fast.

Nicole's situation is interesting. She mentioned off-handedly that it was difficult for her to get a job, since she speak very little Spanish. Yes, it was a minor gripe. She could easily learn Spanish if was a type of job that required it. But she just brushed it off as if that were where we are in life. Flip the script,  and you have people up in arms that a fast food restaurant doesn't have bilingual employees. The differences of the conversation is as such:
Nicole: "I can't get a job because I only speak English. Man. It sucks."
Non-White: "I can't get a job because I only speak Hungarian. They gotta change that."

I think white folk go with the system in place. Mostly because it's not like there isn't an opportunity that they themselves feel they can't get. Others seem to victimize the situation to their advantage.  This is the frustration in life. AND...of course NOT ALL...but most do this. Don't think that they don't.

White folk take the responsibility of a lot of woes in the world. I'd not want to live in Sierra Leone...EVER. And given the outbreak of a crisis such as ebola, white folk step up and volunteer their time and lives to help others. You think someone in South Africa would send assistance to America for even he flu? Fuck no. White folk even go to places they know they aren't wanted to help then get kidnapped than beheaded. It's like the black guy in a haunted house thing. When they hear the devil speaking, they get the fuck out of the house. Meanwhile, white folk go investigate. They're wonderfully optimistic. Sometimes, painfully curious. White people will say things like "I'm color blind, I don't see people and races" Bullshit. But at least they say it. I have NEVER heard an Asian say this. EVER. In fact, Asians look at other Asians trying to figure out which Asian they are.

I grew up with mostly white people. Sometimes felt inadequate amongst them. But I've felt a lot of love from them as well. They've supported me a LOT. They support a lot of things that are outside their wheelhouse. You see white faces march in Ferguson. Support OJ during his trial. Did you see any black or Mexican faces in support when Robert Blake or Phil Spector was on trial for murder?

My girlfriends all happened to be white. White girls have really big hearts. In my cynical world, this is mostly aggravating. But I really like that they are thoughtful (after 30 years old of course). And a lot of times, your dream becomes their dream.

I think what Dr Martin Luther King Jr. in his "I Have a Dream" speech, wasn't directed towards whites. I feel he was throwing the gauntlet down to Americans to STOP the line divisions. Stop acting your own miserable ways and combine forces for something more important. This is so petty. And stop blaming whites for everything. My friend Mark, black guy, has NEVER blamed whites for anything. I've been known to say insensitive anti-white banter before openly to him, he's never. And I've known him over 10 years. Guess what? He thrives in America.

Yes, there are yokels. Even yokels from the south are generous friendly people. I've been there on many occasions and felt more welcomed there than in urban cities. Whites have been the quickest to adapt to the idea of America. Integration for all and we can get along. If we believe in the American ideas, which includes freshly minted immigrants...we will earn having the rep of being the best in the world. We're really not that far off.


No comments:

Post a Comment