Monday, July 27, 2020

Pushy People

I've been encountering this more and more lately.
At first, I thought it mostly came from elderly women (don't ask why I would be encountering elderly women) but people are just doing it in general now. Here's how a conversation goes:

Me: You know, I've been shopping around for a juicer.
friend: Really?! You should get the Hamilton Beach blah blah blah (model number here)
Me: Cool, I'll look for one. You know nothing serious just looking around.

friend: Here (whips out smart phone) I'll send you the link to the one I got.

Me: Oh cool. I'll just shop around.

friend: There. Sent. You're going to love it. I use it all the time, easy to clean, great juicer...got some recipes too.

Me: Well, I'll just shop around.

friend: Yeah, I love mine. Two years and it's like it's brand new. You should get this Hamilton Beach one, you won't be sorry.

We part.

Hours later
Text comes from friend: Did u score the juicer?


Motherfucker...what part of I'll shop around don't you fucking get? Also, do you work for fucking Hamilton Beach. Maybe you should.

I do NOT get this mentality. I get the excitement of being somewhat of an expert on something but sometimes people just overstep their bounds. But, I also notice this as a pushy/needy quality. Like, they want you to really respect the person for their knowledge or give them praise for their discovery. Who fucking cares!

I suspect this is happening more and more because people aren't working and have no purpose. I think elderly people do this because no one talks to them or asks for advice. And I think more than more people are doing this because NO ONE asks for advice anymore. Unsolicited advice is the worst. I have to be conscious not to give people advice. Most people just want to hear themselves talk anyway.

If you are like the type above...stop it. You're fucking annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment