Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Crash No One Heard

I was on Nordhoff, a road that stretches from Van Nuys to at least Northridge and saw, just a massive amount of metal and glass strewn around. It was quiet, no sirens, no cars. Just garbage. I thought a pickup truck had coughed up its contents. I rolled over the debris, heard glass crunching underneath my tire. Which is when I saw him. The body laid just right off the street. It was still in its motorcycle gear. He wasn't moving. Just laying there. Slowly I drove past. Thinking "should I call 911?" Judging by the smashed bits and pieces, he was obliterated by a car. There was nothing to imply that it was a motorcycle except for the guy laying there in his gear.

Earlier in my drive, a motorcycle sped past me. I wondered if this wasn't the guy.

What was odd was just the silence around the area. No crowds (maybe because it was 6AM). No sound. No sirens. Nothing. Just an immobile body in a sea of destruction. It was so eerie, since my first reaction was to get out and investigate. My second was that I was scared shitless. I don't think I could ever un-see what could just be something that would haunt me for years. As it stood now, it haunts me. I didn't see a car that stopped, so it was mostly a hit and run, as they had warned us about in motorcycle class.

I'm certain that man was dead. Snuffed out in an early morning moment, probably wondering about the day ahead of him. Just, everyone, be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment