Friday, November 9, 2018

Job Security

Sorry for being a bit bitchy about the voting thing. Just really fed up with people arguing over shit they have very little control over. I think if you really wanted to make a difference, get to the ground level and help people as much as you can. That's what I did. That's what really made me more aware, some people don't want your fucking help. Or...they never stop wanting help.

I work with a guy who is a staunch liberal. He has no idea why other than he's from Thailand and it's what they're suppose to do. He's a baby boomer who talks like Rain Man. Incredibly paranoid about losing his job. He's near retirement age and he is afraid of a job...uh...only a handful of people in this world know how to do. He's pretty fucking stupid. Unless he's heard something I haven't.
He believes corporate don't care about people at all. That's true. I will never dispute that. What I am wondering is how a man this late in life worries this much about it. He's bought his own house and has a son (in his own words not mine) is a successful lawyer. Maybe he's lying his ass off to pay off a gambling debt. Who know. He is a kind man, but as a co-worker who saw our recent debate, we got to see who he really was. A scared child in the land of LA.
I get it. My car shit on me today, and I don't really rely on anyone to grouse to (unless you consider a blog a person). I have money to fix. More importantly, I have money to buy. But I really don't care about luxury items. My friend recently purchased a sleek BMW. It's a comfy ride. You can tell a lot of money in engineering went into it for creature comforts. Too bad when it starts to shit the bed, it's going to cost a ton to deal with. And the monthly payments are fucking shit.

Not that I prefer living in fear of my car breaking down on me when I'm most needed. I get the ol' Thai guy's fear. I can tell people all the time that there are only a handful of people who do what I do. Granted, they would have to train them for a few weeks, maybe months. It takes years to get proficient though or inspire confidence that you won't fuck up their project.
Experts are always in constant pain of being outed as a phony. Or that someone somewhere out there knows more and can do it cheaper. Sound familiar?
Making films is really the only place where your voice is unique.
Wow, this started out as working your civic duty and downshifted to cars and job security.

No comments:

Post a Comment