Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Strange Twist Of Fate

In an odd twist...management that use to oversee me is now...training under me. To be specific, a young manager who treats people douchey and is a company snitch is now shadowing me, in hopes of staying employed.

Times are rough for dailies. Essentially, it's a arms race. Each company attempts to underbid each other for the job. What ends up happening is that numbers don't add up. A deficit occurs and people STILL go broke. Promise of loyalty is different from loyalty. That said....a few things about being a mensch. A word I learned from my favorite movie of all time. Being a human means doing the right thing for others. Which is good for your soul. I decided after he is trained up, that I would take the night shift. Why the dreaded night shift? Because he has a wife and kid. Am I a martyr? Nope. Or a company man? Possibly. What it is...really, even though this dude annoyed the fuck out of me as management? Because it's the only way I know I'm human.

See, Hollywood is a town of animals. Cutthroat and sick. People believe you have to be in the mud to survive. Fuck that. You have to give light to those who live in darkness. Not in no biblical sense, only that without reward, I can still do a good thing. The remaining manager thinks me a boneheaded for doing something kind for someone who is not a kind person. To me, this doesn't change the dynamic, but maybe shows him not everyone in this world is despicable. Shakespearean in that sense.

We need to help each other survive this shit world. It's really hard already. We can't fight each other AND the grim hand of nature. Perhaps I am naive. But...if it meant doing something good for someone, it is its own reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment