Friday, December 23, 2016

A Time Of Giving

"Hey man, you got a cigarette?" the bum sat in the alley, without shoes calling out to me. Dirty shirt. The sky looked like it was going to rain.

"I don't smoke" I spat out at him. I don't.

As I stopped off at the 7-11 to get my fried chicken wings. A twinge of something hit me.

"A pack of Marlboro mediums" I asked the attendant.

"Mediums?" she shrugged. And got a pack of Marlboros for me. It'd been so long, what I got weren't the brand I use to smoke many years ago. But whatever.

I walked back to my office. And passed the homeless man again. I handed him a pack of cigarettes. The look on his face was priceless. Like Natalie Wood when she found out there IS a Santa Claus. He was very thankful and I went on my way. What a great feeling.

Should I have bought him food? Or given him my chicken wings.

I think around this time, it's not giving people what they need, but it's giving them what they want.

Merry Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment