Friday, September 19, 2014

Throwing The Treat

When I was a kid, I recall my Dad would sometimes sneak into the living room where I'd be watching t.v. and he'd throw me a piece of candy, or cake or something that he didn't want my Mom to know about. It has funny since she could give a shit what we ate. But I think it was just his way to acknowledge my presence. Being a kid at the time, it was usually met with "I don't eat bean pie" or "almond cookies are gross." What a shit I was.

Looking back now, I really feel bad that I never recognized that it was Pop's way of engaging. Since we had a small language barrier, it was a nice bonding thing. I don't have that thing where most people feel so attached to their parents. Sometimes I feel a distance, which is sad, because I have a lot of fond memories. I'm not sure where my detached emotions come from. It does show itself when push comes to shove. Or I write here on this blog to fully vomit out anger and pain. I'd like to believe that it manifests itself into some of my movies.

I do recognize a simple theme in most of the movies I do make though. The exterior doesn't match in the interior. And that family, fractured as they come to be, will find common ground. Yeah, pretty corny and archaic. But I like the times of being thrown snack treats (no comparison to Pavlov's dog please).

No comments:

Post a Comment