Thursday, September 4, 2014

Joan Rivers Died Just Now

Comediennes. I can't recall a moment with Joan in my past other than people really railed on her for having too much plastic surgery. Gotta admit though, she outlived a lot of her contemporaries. AND...big AND, she was still doing stage shows.

She was the female Don Rickles. Harsh in her criticism of people's appearances. Catty in her comments. But genuinely seemed like a person who just wanted to make you laugh. I do recall her being the brunt of jokes in the early days of Catskill roasts. Surprised she'd had the chops to hold her own against these men who were seasoned smack talkers. She definitely earned her respect.

I think, though, in the end...she did tarnish a lot of her reputation, by embracing those who carried her torch. Lame, wet-ends like Sarah Silverman is her predecessor, Amy Shumer seems to be in the wings. These two lack...sophistication that Joan seemed to pride herself on.

I think she did break a mold though. Women, in her generation, weren't as tough as she was. Most didn't do what she did. And I have to respect a pioneer, a trailblazer...a broad with sass.

No comments:

Post a Comment