Saturday, July 9, 2011

What I Know About Women

I was going to crack wise and leave this post blank.

But since we're all mature adults here...this is what I know:
They feel soft to touch.
They smell good
They like looking at pretty things

This is the truth:
Some hands feel like sandpaper.
They have bouts of diarrhea like us guys
Oprah

Okay, wise-acreing aside: if you've ever had fear of women, like I have, the one constant I can tell you is that they have a fear of us as well. My belief is that we are so similar in a lot of ways we think we're so far apart.

Both sexes enjoy being appreciated. Being validated for our accomplishments. Love laughing. Love playing. Love being in love.

Which is confusing...the fear. I think a better way to put it is rejection. Most of us are sickened by rejection. We fear that so much, we paralyze ourselves into non-action. Because we see it as failure. Failure is never trying. So I did an experiment. I would speak to five women in a day...complete strangers, and just strike up a random conversation with them. NOT expecting numbers. NOT expecting love. NOT expecting anything but to know a little about them. And here are the facts:

Lupe: I was standing in line at a grocery store. I looked over and noticed she had daffodils. I said to her "Nice daffodils". She brightened and related to me that she had a care package that she was giving to her mother as she was in the hospital. I also found out it wasn't anything serious and that it was just prevention surgery.

Sarah: She was an older woman at a pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) restaurant I really enjoy going to. She was there with her son. I asked her what she had gotten and she told me the beef noodles. Then she was telling me about a midnight ride thru Los Angeles that her son does for fun. Every first Saturday. Fascinating.

Kim: Standing in line at another grocery store...a girl in a workout outfit was standing next to me, as the lines were backed up. She looked anxious so I asked her if she'd like to get in front of me since I was in no hurry. She stared at me blankly for a while. Then declined and made a comment about how she's never seen a line this long. I have. No biggie :).

Julie: I've seen her at the gym I go to all the time. She is very fit. I stopped her and told her that she had a really great physique and that I'm sure someone had told her that before..then inquired what types of exercise she did. Oh man...this went on for a while. But afterwards, I thanked her, backed away and left.

Frieda: I was getting my haircut. But the barber wasn't there. So I stood outside. Meanwhile a security officer said the stylist was at the store across the street and would come back shortly. Another woman beelined to the window and peered in. Frustrated. She looked at her watch. I related the story to her what the security officer had told me. Then asked her what she was in such a hurry for. She told me that her son was about to graduate high school and had to make the ceremony. When the stylist arrived, I told her "Frieda needs something really great for her son't graduation" and allowed her to go first. Y'see I'm never in a hurry to do anything or get anywhere. She was so thankful. And I had a great time chatting to her while she got that perfect 'do.

I notice something...the more times I approached women openly and with a smile and a friendliness. Natural and calm the more people felt comfortable around me. The key word is RELAX. Franky said it. It's so great learning about people. And I think they appreciate it. Women love being appreciated. They love attention. They love being listened to. And they especially love a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment