Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Finding A Workout Partner

I think it occurred to me then why workouts are better with groups. In a group setting, there are periods of ups and downs. Especially if you feel like going full tilt. Personally, I feel I work harder when you have a group because it kinda' feels like you're in front of an audience. It may never be proven, in terms on performance of a player based on the attendance, but I doubt it hurts an NFL player to see hundreds of thousands of people watching him. But, let's talk about the workout partner.

Workout partners are one of the most difficult things to keep motivated. Especially in a gym atmosphere. And if we're talking one on one. I know personal trainers like seeing themselves in this role. But, honestly, what are we talking about here. A person who is there to hold your hand or speak words of encouragement. Personally...that would grate on me. There is no comraderie, it's master and servant. And I think some people may put TOO much emphasis/faith on results based on personal attention rather than their own personal goals. When I started going to the gym, I had a personal trainer. I outdid everything she had in store for me. Not much encouragement, only advice I had already read on many other fitness magazines. Personal trainer...okay, if you're past the age of 50. Also, don't find a friend to workout if your only motivation is to chit chat at the gym. I find that to be the biggest waste of time.

I think it's a sabotage sometimes to believe your partner is going to be supportive of your goals. Choosing the right partner should be as choosy as choosing your life mate. These have to be people who share some, NOT all your philosophies of working out. Throw in people who also do studies on diets and you have a great combination. My buddy Brad and I started going to each other's gym. We had it in mind that we'd feed off each other's workout template. Since we didn't belong to the same gym, we spent more time battling the sales pitches rather than actually working out. The other thing is that my goals didn't coincide with Brad's, so we did our own thing at the gym, and it might as well be we never went together. So that fell thru. Also be flexible in other people's workout regiment. See what they do and see if it doesn't fit into your own. The minute a workout partner starts dispelling another's exercise is when it goes downhill. LISTEN. You don't have to incorporate into your workouts, but at least try it. Conversely, all body types are different. So what may work for one person may not for another. Don't push it on someone else.

I'd have to say if you're choosing a workout partner, my advice...look for the ones who have a flexible with schedule. And someone who has a great deal of information and focus on nutrition. I choose to find four or five people and meet once a week in a park. I like the atmosphere. The fresh air. The fans :).

No comments:

Post a Comment