Friday, August 24, 2018

Ben Affleck and Alcoholism

Muli-talented Ben Affleck checked into rehab to deal with a drinking problem. Seems to be a very real awful addiction that has claimed many of us in the Gen-X category.
I spoke with a co-worker who is under the age of 30 yesterday about the generation today.  I consider them much more mature than we are, despite being listless Millenials. I regaled stories of drunken behavior when I lived in Hollywood, all to when I left Sherman Oaks when it'd been the worse. I saw it with fondness but now see it as a waste of time. I don't regret any of it, only that I lost precious time. It was mostly to conceal a very inadequate part of me and my career at the time. A lot of stress and loneliness that drinking cure, until I woke up the next morning. It kept anger and depression at the top of emotional spiral. And it made disappointment disappear. Most of the time I drank, I did create. Wrote a lot. Had a ton of movie ideas. Because the reality wasn't worth facing.
I understand Affleck's need to stay drunk. Mostly because he is under the microscope of everyone who wants him to fail. Because he is charmed. I suspect the failure of a recent movie sent him into a depression regardless of the fact that he made a Best Picture film. I also suspect he may be haunted by inadequacies too. Doesn't how handsome or rich you are. Which is awful when you're under the microscope of the public. The rest of the world will never pity a guy this successful.
To me, I wish him well. The path to begin, if I look back now, is awful. Most of the time drinking meant now free time to re-evaluate the people you've damaged. Or yourself. This business has a tendency to drive you insane with doubt. Despite what a front anyone puts up. EVERYONE is terrified their position is to go back to the bottom. But a bottom is what some of us need to hit. I know plenty of people who suffer from this, and self-medicate. Doesn't help they surround themselves with people who don't look out for their best interest. More than likely most well-wishers check in if not to feel their lives aren't a colossal shit-show. It's human.
For a LOT of successful people I've seen in the movie industry, many are haunted. By a time that was better. The good ol' days they'd like to re-live. But as time presses forward they are replaced by responsibility. Adult ones that aren't what we expected when we got into it. That's when you need to adjust or die on the vine. We're not suppose to be grown ups. Because grown ups are boring and offer nothing interesting. In Affleck's case, perhaps seeing younger faces sent him to re-live those times he had that freedom. I don't blame him. It's not easy being a grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment