Friday, June 13, 2014

TMZ Airing Tracy Morgan Accident Footage

I've been reading up on this new development about TMZ airing some guy being pulled from the accident in New Jersey.
For those not in the know, comedian Tracy Morgan and entourage in limo bus was in an accident with an 18 wheeler Wal-Mart truck. That which took the life of a person and injured the others. It's a strange thing...fame (not that I ever had it or known about). But here is, perhaps a different thought:

I think the social media world is interesting. It seems to be put into place to work for some people. And sometimes not for others. For instance (and I dig the guy)..Louis CK tweeted how TMZ shouldn't be airing that footage. Louis...I dunno, seems to me sometimes that he picks battles that aren't even his to deal with. But does it so spinelessly that you can't help but feel endeared to them. Unfortunately, you see his darker side when he talks about Sarah Palin. Or pretty much anyone he doesn't seem to like in the public forums. I find that hypocritical. At one point, you say "Hey lookit me! I'm calling out a public person." And using some offensive language. Whilst language would be one thing, this posting of a tragedy may be another. I agree with this. However, it's not like we can pick or choose what we like or don't like. That's the nature of a thing we've not had a chance to see full realization of. We have NO idea the repercussions of the new internet to our next generation. We do see, maybe a glimpse. But for the most part...it hasn't completely set in yet. But if school shootings, mall shootings, people behaving bad, is any indication of fame to public nuisance ratio, I think we're in for a lot worst.

I find it odd, that comedians are coming out in droves about this. They are, above all, supposedly turning the mirror on ourselves. And entertaining us with our own bad behavior. Why would it be surprising that someone takes it to the next level. Why is it that Tosh can make a rape joke, become viral and the comedians come out to defend freedom of speech when TMZ can't post a video of someone's worst day. We can't say how far reaching this tastelessness goes. And I do get it...they are comedians paid to do these things. But, TMZ 'aint exactly Jerry's Telethon. In fact, sometimes they're even recruited by the "stars" to catch them at airports or malls. Only to have them feign disgust. Total fabrication of celebrity. I guess when it became too real, the ones who call the shots (or feel like they have the platform) say "waitaminute, enough is enough." I feel this is similar to the kid who brings the kickball and when he's terrible at the game, goes home and takes his ball with him.

yeah, media sucks. But you're also sucking at the teat.

No comments:

Post a Comment