Monday, June 16, 2014

Get Back To Writing

I've been writing a shit ton lately.
I'm already powering through my second script. Scratching new ideas for another one. In fact, I started three others, which I'm going to let percolate for a bit.

I know they suck massive balls now, but it's just the process of writing that I'm enjoying. I'm writing everywhere. Parks, backyard by swimming pool, library, even taken to writing at a cemetary. Yes. The Valhalla in Burbank is an amazing place to kick back and write. I have NO idea why it inspires me to write so much when I go there. But it is a nice quiet place, where I can write, take a nap, read and write some more. I think because it has a reverence to it. They say when you pick a spot to write, you should be surrounded with the ability to focus. I think when I attempt to write at home, there is too much a temptation to flip on the television. I actually prefer also taking a road trip to a nearby town to write. So far, it's been Newhall. That place is such a nice quiet sleepy town to get things done. I can also smoke my pipe and be totally pretentious. A very nice balance and training exercise for my brain (which has been a total fog since I gave up alcohol).

Lately also, I've been thinking...the process of writing. People think it's hard. It is. I mean, to be really good at it. Or to know what's good. Or to get paid. I understand. But, the alternative is doing a menial job, getting berated, yelled at or generally ignored for what you do. Your contribution means so little to your company, and you do just enough to get by. Now, if you compare that with writing, I wonder how people can see it more difficult. So very strange. I think in this case, writing is far easier than say...a doctor or lawyer. You really don't have anyone to answer to, but yourself. People say they're too lazy to write. That one cracks me up. How much more lazy can you be than to sit in front of a screen vomiting words?

No comments:

Post a Comment