Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Changing The Name Of The Washington "Redskins"

We are in a very bizarre world these days.

The government recently took back its trademark patent to the NFL team that uses the term "Redskins" as a mascot. To put into perspective, I suppose if the 49ers started out as "Cooley Miners" the Chinese would be greatly offended. BUT...and huge but here...it wasn't an issue when they first incorporated the name. This is 1937 BTW.

Now, it's obvious that the name is insensitive to the Native Americans. However, I would contend that it's lost a LOT of its power over the years. In fact, some would contend that the Irish have usurped this moniker for their own. Thus, I think we stop focusing on that logo.

Personally, I think it's silly for the government to get involved with private corporations when it comes to stupid things like names. IF for instance, some moron wants to name his company "Hitler's Bicycle Shop." Hey, it's his business to lose. In this case, I find it over reaching, and we do seem to have other things to deal with now. Homeless, mental health, guns to name just a few.

I grew up watching the Redskins in the late 70's. Loved that team. Never for once ever even consider it offensive. In fact, I thought their helmets were the coolest. It would be a shame if it gets revoked for the future. I think the over-sensitivity has to stop, or we're going to lose other traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment