Thursday, June 12, 2014

Finished A Screenplay

So, in my spare time, I finally finished a screenplay. By finish I mean a first draft. It's really bad, structurally. And looking back now, seems like a ten year old wrote it. But I completed it and I'm very proud that I have something in hand.

Writing screenplays isn't intrinsically tough. The whole thing is a process. And has nothing to do with great novel writing. It's all a blueprint to a movie. Something you'd wanna see. In this case, I wanted to see mutated terrorists battle it out in the desert with a burnout and a reluctant former Air Force pilot. I think it was something in my brain years ago that I got excited about. But now think pretty quaint.

Y'see this was a screenplay I'd had completed shortly after film school. Reading it now, I can't believe how awful it was. Re-write yourself sometime, maybe some essays you've written a ways back and you may be shocked how terrible a first draft can be. What's even sadder, is that back then (roughly 12/13 years ago), I thought I had gold in my hands. I'm going to go back and re-write and re-structure. But for the time being, it felt good to finish...something. Anything.

Speaking of which, it was a huge struggle for me to hit 90 pages. Who are these assholes who can go over 200?

No comments:

Post a Comment