Monday, June 20, 2022

I Was Conned!

I fell for the oldest con in the history of cons. Well, except for that one in ancient Egypt. This one is the White Van Con. In the old days, it would be stereos and speakers. Today, it's high definition projectors. It slowly sunk in that I was dumb enough to fall for this. But then I started thinking...it really was my own greed to undid me. The con is simple: See dummy at gas station and ask if he wants a high priced electronic that he has inventory for. In this case, a Middle aged White guy in a White Van. I knew it was a con, yet...the skill of a con man is to persisting but not be pushy. Remarkable considering that it didn't look like I have any money at all. Then, a few words exchanged, personal information about himself (most likely lies) and then I was out $400. I started to fume how dumb I was, and that I should have gone with my instinct. The most awful thing that keeps playing in my head is his statement "I knew I found the right guy" Meanwhile in his head, it was probably "what a fucking idiot!" The even more remarkable thing is even after the con, he stuck around and chatted with me...for nearly an hour. Now, here's why I'm not THAT upset. In the world we live in now, there are a ton of homeless and...lazy. I'm not saying homeless are lazy but I'm saying there are a small population of our society that isn't willing to do anything. This dude did such a song and dance, I couldn't help but be amused at the lengths he'd go to to con me. It was like I paid $400 for a show. While I felt stupid falling for it, I applaud his efforts, and in a way donated to the performance. The other thing as to why I wasn't upset: my own greed. See, I didn't need a projector...I wanted to flip it for more money. In that sense, the con is that he fed on my own greed. While he walked off with my money, most likely proud of his ruse, I sit here today wondering as to my own greed. Again, with the economy as it is, $400 isn't going to take him far. It's sad that his conscience and my greed costs that much. I look back on this now with a stomach sickness but not anger. Disappointment and pity that we live like this now. And I'm not justifying our behavior. Yes, folks, I totally take responsibility for my own stupidity. Because I saw opportunity to make MORE money. It wasn't just that I felt I was getting a deal, it was that I could double my "investment." The guy is going to go through life conning people. Some of these people won't learn or care. That's for them to decide. For me, I am not going to sell my own conscience for any amount of money. In this case, I almost feel bad that someone's dignity costs so little.

No comments:

Post a Comment