Thursday, July 1, 2021

What Are You Waiting For?!

 I do a podcast where I speak to people who make movies on film. Like, real Kodak film.

I had a conversation with a filmmaker who is in the process of making a film now. She, like myself, do it almost as a one person army. Which is everything.

A few days ago, I got a message about all the "testing" she's been doing. And, she decided to make a feature film.

I understand this. Many times, I will just grab my camera and go out shooting. It's really therapy. Alone with a camera capturing images.

However, it also isn't what I would say is...filmmaking. This is stalling to make a movie.

So what are you waiting for?

The answer...to be ready.

Ready for what? You may be asking. I did. I don't know. Except I do have a theory...

Most of us in making movies come from some form of an art world. In that world there are colossal douchebags. They nitpick and shit on everything. They are the cattiest shitheads you can ever assemble in one place. IF I were a professor of that school, I'd tell them one thing...

First off, you are going to suck. Or have moments of suck. What you make is going to be no-good. THEN, I would say...SO FUCKING WHAT?!

You are suppose to suck. And fail. And make shit. I have. You will. Everyone does. In fact, the higher you get up the ladder, the worse the fall.

I think we have this mentality that we are suppose to impress those who will never be impressed.

I say...fuck 'em.

MAKE YOUR FUCKING MOVIE.

Don't wait. You have no one to impress except yourself.

Because when you make something. Anyone with a brain will be impressed.

I've seen too many talented people wait, prepare, "get ready", overthink...then never do.

Look, you are suppose to make shit. In fact, the movie business calls it that ALL THE TIME. "Here's that piece of shit you wanted (script)" "Where is that piece of shit?" (actors), "Guy is making a piece of shit" (director).

You will not be immune to this, so who fucking cares?

Repeat: "Fuck 'em"

I'm always impressed if anyone makes anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment