Friday, June 11, 2021

Side Jobs

 The one thing you should learn about the movie business is...you will need to make the best of it.

Regardless of where you end up.

I got a friend a job at where I work. And it's really a bland job BUT, I told him this very thing...MAKE THE MOST OF IT.

Too many people in our business who came from film school suffer from entitlement.

The reality is that it is a factory. And you are but a cog.

When I worked as a janitor at my undergrad university, I made the best of it. On my breaks, I'd write skits. Or envision little stories I could film. Always dreaming of getting friends together and making films.

The "dream" took a turn when I went into graduate school and tried my hardest to navigate through the business side of show. What I discovered was that it has all the makings of the same thing you see in...say...a warehouse. People come in their uniforms and do what it is SPECIFICALLY, they were brought on to do. Now, we all have aspirations (at least you should). The people who work as part of the cog...well, some probably lost that will. The trick is to (and I told my friend this) do the job you are paid to do to the best of your ability and do what you want to do on the side.

STOP STOP STOP...believing you deserve the spot to make movies. You do not. That is the side thing you do to enjoy the process and make mistakes. Newbies always overreach and burn themselves out. An entire exodus of homeless people is indicative of that.

Instead, work at something menial and pursue your goals on your own time. It really isn't a bad thing. In fact, it is inspiring to a lot of people. Since you don't answer to anyone and people see you have a work ethic.

Believe it or not, I work at a place where I haven't found another person who is making their own films. It's mind boggling. As the resources are right in front of them. I pray they don't look back at their lives and regret. I know one old timer who just retired who pursued the movie business...dropped out and in retirement has the time to make something...and still doesn't. Fucking sad. To me, that is the definition of tragedy. You get too old to do anything. Or you have a family and that takes priority.

SO many people think they can juggle it all. Not many have. In terms of people who make movies from scratch, such as myself, it's exhausting enough without the drama of life.

OR...and BIG OR...you trade it for the comfortability of life.

That's also what happens. You realize how silly the pursuit is and well-wish anyone who attempts it while you sit in your backyard with a hard seltzer water and let your life dwindle away. That is fine too. For those who have ambition, this will be a foreign thought.

If you do continue on, the key word you should burn into your brain is this: survive.

That seems obvious, but there are too many people who go into this career path and can't sustain themselves. That's idiotic. You do need to be in a secure place where your pursuits are based on not just working to live. Again, seen too many people one freelance gig away from total collapse. This will tire you out. And then your stuck until the industry forces you to "go back home."

Then are those who have nothing to lose. As you recall, I mentioned people whose home lives are so disastrous suffering through living in Hollywood is the better option. Pity those folk. Their options are limited and with the odds of succeeding much less than winning the lottery...the real answer is you become a burden to society. Have some shame.

Just work. And do work. And be honest with your work. All work is seen as noble. And not everyone is going to be Stanley Kubrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment