Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Rich Kid Movies - John Hughes Sucks

 I've always hated "rich kid movies"

What do I mean by that?

That rich White kids have everything given to them but they're still miserable. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is the prime example. Entitled shit who got everything and still decides to bring grief to adults because...he's bored. Ooooo edgy.

Anything John Hughes, really. He grew up in rich kid Evanston, Illinois (which I've been too a few times). They're dicks in that community. There was a rule back when I visited where you couldn't own a pickup truck in that town because it was "unsightly." Sure those assholes lightened up.

Rich kid movies are ones where you are just baffled why they have issues. I think the message was suppose to be "even rich kids with good parents have issues" But they make the parents act and look like retards. Yea, nice message. And my classmates lapped it up.

I did see "Ferris Bueller..." in the theater. It was at a dual theater that had been running for almost a year (I eventually ended up working at that very theater as a late teen). It was..."meh" I just didn't get what the big deal was.

Conversely, a movie like "Back To School" was more my type of flick. It has the same sensibility but skates a little bit towards a better message. The fuck was Ferris all about. Except he's too cool for school and outsmarts everyone. Smug is gross.

In reality, Ferris would be put in boarding school and forgotten. Pretty easy to catch a kid who breaks the fourth wall talking into the camera.

I do give John Hughes credit for fooling people into believing his movies are any good. Some function STRICTLY on nostalgia. Even when they first came out into theaters.

Not a John Hughes flick but..."Less Than Zero" bugged me too. I don't blame anyone involved, since the source material is as vapid as the movie. It was suppose to be more so.

I don't know what's suppose to pass as dark comedy back then, but supposedly Brett Easton Ellis considered it that. That people are so shallow they don't show emotions in the correct places. Surprise! That's how you feel when you watch the flick or read the book (which I did....you're left with "so what?").

Ugh...yes, rich White people have problems. But seriously...the general public doesn't give a fuck about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment