Friday, June 18, 2021

James Mangold: The Twitter Warrior

 Director James Mangold has taken shots at the Twitter world for the slights people online have been making against his directing the fifth Indiana Jones.

He has many valid points and you can search them on twitter to realize how off the rails he becomes.

Essentially he is briskly telling the "fans" to wait till the fucking thing is done to shit on him. Or the project. Which I wholeheartedly agree with.

I'm not a fan of his movies BUT I love his craft (except for shooting this one on digital, which I understand the logistics of making an actor look more presentable). He wouldn't be the first person I thought of when it came to the Indy Jones franchise. In fact, I actually thought Jake Kasdan would've been pretty solid after coming off the "Jumanji" reboots.

Any how, Mangold goes I can see he is a film enthusiasts, which, in my opinion, makes him as qualified as anyone. I have no link to the Indy series other than they do represent great memories in my childhood. That's it. They were meant to be serials helmed by different people (which I was attempting to do myself). To that, I doubt he could do worse than "The Crystal Skull" one.

Also, it occurred to me, that as society changes so does the actual craft of making them. I think the cinematography of Douglas Slocumbe will never be outdone by anyone else. There was a time and place and uniqueness to his addition to the series which I found STILL incredible today. I bring up shooting on celluloid for that reason. The cinematographer on this Phedon Papamichael ASC, is REALLY well trained and exceptionally capable of capturing their own take of the Indy world.

However, the biggest mistake of ever tackling a mythical film is that you can't help but compare. I don't think many people who accept this responsibility, much like the "Star Wars" series. I would never try, not because of cowardice, but because I know the anchor it comes with. And...boy...the public will bury you in your own doubts.

Actually, kudos to Mangold for standing up for his project. Or the committee's project. I would never assume a person with such independent bones would want to do a summer blockbuster.

I would say...that's courage. I mean, in the film world anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment