Friday, January 15, 2021

Why Do You Want To Get Into Movies?

 Has anyone ever asked you that?

What was your answer?

For the most part, every time I've asked this to a potential writer or director, the answer typically is the same. They have no idea.

Which is cool. But that's not what I would call a passion.

I think what people can't articulate is that they like to manipulate people. And I don't mean in a bad way. All film is is telling a story that effects people. It's not like we're brewing medicine so that it can cure nut itching. I think if people were really honest with themselves, the real answer...

...is to be liked.

Let's be crystal clear here: most of you are people pleasers.

Again, NOT an insult. I consider myself a people pleaser. Until, I got sick of pleasing people. Because people like you regardless. Right, Mr. Rogers?

No seriously (and again, I am NOT a psychologists) I suspect this comes from feeling or being a disappointment to one or both parents.

So we manufacture stories to get attention. And then telling a good story gets you GOOD attention.

A good visual story teller accomplishes a few things...it makes others feel less lonely in the world. And it also exorcises your demons. Most filmmakers get into making movies because they are curious. Life, death, love, and religion. All curiosities.

So I suggest you figure out why you got into making films before you go into this blender. Because frankly, you better love your own stories. And you better be able to amuse yourself first.

No comments:

Post a Comment