Tuesday, January 19, 2021

A Co-Worker Died

 A guy I had met the first few days I'd arrived at work passed away.

He was roughly my age. He and I would crack wise. He loved to laugh. He had been here for years, and seemed like a very jolly guy. I saw him in the hallway from time and time and never knew that he had cancer.

I realize as we get older a few things come to mind...

Don't die over something stupid (fireworks, anvil falling on you, dumb stunts)

Every minor ailment could be a disease (this is what you think, because you have WebMD).

To me, the second part of this is much more real. As you get older, your body breaks down. Then you realize how mortal you are. Hell, driving through Los Angeles on a daily basis reminds you of that. HOWEVER, the youth that populate this town believe the party...or reckless behavior can go on forever.

It doesn't.

We grow old and tired.

Yet, I realize a lot of people don't want to face their own mortality. Why? Most likely because there's nothing waiting for them on the other side. So they make the most of it while they're here. Which you should be doing anyway. But you should also exercise common sense.

My Dad does that now where people his age are dropping off like flies. And sometimes I think he is curious as to why he remains. I don't think he believes in the after life the way Christians do. But I think he believes there is something going on. I would never hazard a guess. But want to believe there is.

For a lot of you, the thought of an afterlife probably sucks, because you will run into the same assholes you know now (maybe not). For some, it's a relief not to have to pay bills.

I know when I had a near death experience, I was saddened by the idea that all my memories would be erased. Though I've lived a somewhat tragic romantic life, I still enjoy being me. All that could've ended. And that very thought saddens me. Would I relive the 1980's? Or have to go through teenage rejection? Or trauma the last time I was here.

The mysteries of the unknown that my co-worker now knows the answers to.

No comments:

Post a Comment