Friday, August 16, 2019

Sadist Auteur

I'm not sure which director said it, but he said that most horror directors have a sadistic side to them. Funny that they are also THE most nicest people you ever met. I've seen Tobe Hooper come by a cigar shop to quietly buy smokes (before his death, obviously). John Carpenter seems like someone's curmudgeon uncle (though you could argue he was more a disciple of westerns. Hitchcock wasn't a nice guy though. I guess you could argue that stylists are different. I really consider Mr. Hitchcock more of a fashion director (though to be fair, most of that came after the fact.

I can't do it. May never get to that point. In other words, I have no interest in seeing random acts of violence anymore. I think as you grow older you see how futile that really is.

I am really surprised that I see more women getting in horror than men. I think it has to do with living in fear. I understand. Girls who are pretty get a lot of unnecessary attention all the time. They are fascinated with victims because they are one constantly...I guess.

To me, I think most of the directors who make horror films is an entry level thing to get into directing their own projects. People ask what makes a successful director. I agree with this answer I've heard in the past..
...if that filmmaker is curious about the subject matter they are making and don't know everything about it and are passionate to learn from it. It's a longer version of "make what you know" but it goes a little further back to "make what you like to know." In this discovery you learn more about yourself.
Who knows, you may learn you are a sadist.

No comments:

Post a Comment