Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Failure To Launch

I am always enamored with people who go out there and make something. In this case, a feature movie.

It's always been a goal to finish a full 90+ minute feature, and though I have a few scripts none of which I can afford to make...in Los Angeles.
Now I'm no quitter, but sometimes, it feels like I've let myself down because I let L.A. get to me.

I recently listened to a podcast with cinematographer Caleb Deschanel. He is incredibly prolific having shot "The Right Stuff" and "The Black Stallion." He is of the old guard who believes in the independent spirit. He was once told that movies aren't about art. You think it is, you will sabotage yourself. Instead, movies are about...getting it done. Regardless of adversity, permission or resources. The point is to JUST MAKE IT.
That was incredibly profound to me, because film school had given us the tools to do it...like we had resources. The ones who seem to succeed in this business...see no resources...but still do it.

That is a great message to all. That there is nothing in the way of making anything unless you talk your way into it.

Now people who know me know I hate being on set. Some would even assume I hate making movies. But I don't. I do hate being on set. Because it's uncontrollable chaos. Which, typically, I don't mind. Who doesn't like a pie fight? BUT, what I don't like is confrontations or tap dancing. Sometimes, being a silver tongue devil moves you further here than anything else. In fact, I'd say...most of the time.
A person who is good with people will succeed. Something they don't teach you in film school. And judging by my classmates (of 1998) most are introverted weirdos. Most are more film fans than film makers. A lot have gone into teaching.

The point is that you make it, to steal from Malcolm X, by any means necessary.

And I think the east coast people understand this better than the west coast.
I sometimes believe that making a movie in Ohio would be simpler because people aren't as uptight about the things we do here. In fact, a lot are fascinated or want to be involved, because it is a foreign craft. Some are incredibly savvy and it's damn near difficult to find that seriousness. But they are there. In every city. Everyone wants to act. Everyone. And I've met so very few people, if you ask, wouldn't want to participate.
And that is a liberating feel.
Onward, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment