Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Result Based

It's probably near impossible for people in the film industry to not link money with success. No judgement there. That's the clear result of having a product people want. To me, it's foolhardy as an artist to focus on result based stories.
For the most part, you ask any screenwriter, they aren't looking at what audiences want. Some are, of course, and you can see it, in storylines that seem to shoehorn hidden things for their fans. This is pandering and distracting from a good story (in my opinion).
There is an incredibly rare occasion now where movies aren't sequels or adaptions or reboots. Trying to limit return on investments. They have people to answer to. "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" is the only film for a LONG time that has broken the $100 million mark and was an original story. That is bizarre.

IF that is the life you want to live, I'll cheer from the crowd and go home and eat mac and cheese.
To me, this is an empty shell.
Result base makes people worry constantly about how people will perceive their art. And I'm not saying I'm not guilty of it. You want to dress to impress. And also not look the fool. But to me...maybe because my brain has been foggy for a while, it doesn't interest me as much anymore.
The freedom to make things...ANYTHING, makes the pressure non-existent. Perhaps that is what I'm dodging. A LOT of people live in awful pressure. One project I'm assisting in now has the cinematographer stressed beyond what I want to deal with. I applaud her for fighting for her art, though  maybe not on a Hollywood franchise now.

Buy your freedom, then make what you want. Don't let the audience tell you what you want. Give them something original and be brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment