Friday, July 5, 2019

The Sacrifice

As the Fourth of July in America blows up in my neighborhood (and most likely will continue through the weekend) I slave away at the next episode of my micro-series. When I say "slave" it's in jest. Simply because it's fun putting this one together. There are no expectations per usual but also...it feels like moving forward.

I had a friend come by and tell me he was going to a fireworks display in Santa Monica.
A few things occurred to me at that point. For one thing I wasn't invited, the jerks! Just joking. But more importantly, jealous of people in film school
I had film school friends once. And, for fear of sounding like the old man telling kids to get off their lawn, in the end, MAYBE one or two will keep in touch. The rest..well, it will become a distant memory when they start to work. Unfortunately, as my ex-girlfriend use to say "life gets in the way." As tragic as that may sound, because at this point they spend morning, day and night with each, it is growth. People meet other people and have to get into the reality of the world which is...work.

The reality of it is, when you're in your early 20's, you want to socialize. And you should. I partied well into my 30's. But at the same time, I also partied alone. Which meant not being involved in a lot of social events. At that age, it sucked because that's where I'd meet pretty girls. That's the sacrifice (or in my case, I got sick of being rejected). If you are part of the "popular crowd" and you want to succeed, time to shed that as well. In the past, this did work. Hollywood is high school part 2. And it still kind of is. But if you're that nerdish kid sitting in the computer lab figuring out something...people gravitate towards you. These words haunt me "everything goes to power." In other words, chasing something does nothing for you. If they come to you, you know you've achieved something (did I mention I wasn't invited to go see fireworks, heh-heh-heh).

I would hope no 22 year old would be reading this blog to get ideas on how to succeed, mostly because they wouldn't listen anyway. I didn't. And I don't listen to dudes older than me now. I think they're wrong and I'm unique (I'm not, neither are you). The only thing that should drive your ambition is asking yourself what it is you want from working in Hollywood. If it's money and fame, awesome. They have that, but it also has over 9 million people to remind you you get lost in the crowd. If it's to tell some agonizing story of your youth (at 22?! get fucked) then I challenge you to make it interesting. A lot of divorce stories in my film school. But if the moving image is being used for a greater good of telling a compelling story to an audience who will understand (niche)...well, any passionate play is fueled by the blood of exuberance. Anything else is just an assignment.

If I were to lecture a film school, I'd tell them a few things (they'll probably ignore, because they're grotesquely arrogant) have a unique passionate vision that only you like. DO NOT copy anyone else because they do "cooler" things. Find your own view of a story without second guessing your instincts (this will come later). Be brave when mostly alone (which if you've read this, you should be alone most of the time). And don't let others tell you that you are wrong (which you probably are) in the stories you want to tell (you are wrong everywhere else, mostly technical).

The point being, sacrifice is grinding it out while others play. And others play constantly. Be the person (such as my friend in film school who came by to borrow a camera) take advantage of EVERY opportunity to make yourself better above your peers but not in spite of them. Because you want to.

Making it here is a lonely place. The other life comes later. This is what will confuse a lot of newbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment