Sunday, July 7, 2019

Washout

I know a lot of you probably I'm a piece of shit for telling you your Hollywood dreams won't come true. They will, if you keep them in reality. Most don't. Most washout.
There is NOTHING wrong with quitting Hollywood. Honestly...go look at all the 90's to 2000's stars of that era and see what they are up to. Most have washed out, others, work on the fringe. These are the people I respect the most. One of my favorite actresses of the 90's teaches musical theater. I love that more than anything. Meant she was in it for the craft.

For filmmakers, washing out is bizarre. Obviously people need money to live and keep doing what they're doing. Most leave the business to pursue teaching. To me, if they never cracked the code, even at the smallest level, you probably shouldn't be teaching anything on filmmaking.
Some may consider me a wash out since I went into a more steadier job (steady-ish anyway, nothing in this business is solid). But, I've had my moments in the business. It's more corporate than you realize. Especially now. That's not what we signed up for. So I essentially started my own mini-studio to do the projects when I want, how I want. This does take some discipline because no one is making this an assignment. That's all on me. Yes, I love to bitch that I shouldn't have to drag others into this endeavor, since they want to work in the business. My film school friend whom I speak to about the matter is perfectly okay to work in the margin. Remember what I said about film fans versus film makers. Most in film school are film fans. And the market has expanded where the world are more proficient in telling stories than Americans. The international film world is interesting in that the government selects and funds them. America is the only first world nation that doesn't do this. Weird.

But everyone still wants to tackle Hollywood. Because we all do have this notion that this place is still the epitome of "making it." I'm actually surprised that more people are dis-enfranchised by the facade this town is (how miserable is your previous living?!). Though, as you get more embedded into this town and start to integrate into the work, a lot of things do become clear. The hierarchy exists, if not to create gatekeepers. These are the people who will make you wash out faster. Because nothing in this business is remotely fair. I've seen too many talented people spinning their wheels in fear and mental fatigue/illness. Washing out, in a lot of cases is never giving this town a chance.

There's a scene in Preston Sturges "Sullivan's Travel" where Joel McCrea pretending to be a homeless man runs into Veronica Lake at a diner. She feels pity for him and offers to buy him food. We discover she is an actress who is about to be washed out. But before so, she mentions everything that got her to that point (in hilarious insightful cynical tropes of Hollywood). This existed since the 1940's. Yet, here we are, still stupidly pursuing _________.
well, if you can fill in this blank without a sense of irony, you are going to do fine here.

No comments:

Post a Comment