Monday, June 17, 2019

Film Or Any Art Trade School

Personally, with all the internet and YouTube videos and just clubs around your hometown, I think film school is pretty useless. Yes, you meet people, but those aren't typically people who do get your foot in the door. And, in terms of where you want to be in the industry, most of the time the instructors know less than you do. In fact, no one knows how to get a foot into the business. They only know how THEY got into the business.

But I understand...the word "school" makes it palpable to a lot of people. For one thing, you get validated through instructors who have worked in the business (at least they should). And also you are learning to follow a curriculum. But, honestly, nearly everyone I've met in the business who finished film school aren't working in the industry at the place they want to be. Because this business lacks common sense. Typically, you get a degree and you're placed in a job. That's it. Nope.

For the amount of money you pay, it doesn't pay off immediately. In fact, you should brace yourself in knowing that you start from the bottom. Which is where you would've started had you not gone to film school. That "bottom" is an opportunity to learn. Film school sometimes does make you a "know it all" which no one likes (I was one). I suggest interning somewhere. A LOT of actresses I knew took jobs as desk clerks in agencies (it's horrible from what I hear). But with the #metoo movement, you probably will experience less sweaty nasty men. I mean that for the gay actors too (redundant). Just kidding. But let's say management or agent sees you. Yes, I understand this is a ploy a TON of people do, but it may work for you.

From what I see though, these schools are simply for some bright creative types who are fearful of the "real world." Which I don't blame them. Every single person working in this business today fears what is in store for tomorrow. Or has to continually fight for things. Even at the highest level. In school, you are insulated with a curriculum. Bright students embrace this. But it has no practical application because it is also a business.

In creative schools there is a sense of vindictiveness and resentment that comes with being a creative type. At first, you can clutch your pearls in horror at the amount of pettiness, but you realize this is actually closer to the "real world" than coddling you. Which a lot of institutions do...because they want your money (sorry, it's true...numbers game). Also they want diversity. When I went to film school in 1998, there was two Asian people...in Los Angeles. They had to recruit me and my (now) friend from Florida and Ohio.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting you not go to school. But question your motives. Most of us were there to hide from the reality of the business, which, at the time, didn't have internet, so the mountain was hidden. Today, you can do your research and find out what works for you. For the most part, I suspect most of you are there to hide from real responsibility. Continue the party until it ends. I don't blame you.

No comments:

Post a Comment