Thursday, February 7, 2019

Button Pushing Tards

At my day job, everyone seems to be satisfied pushing buttons. This is not a crack at them. In fact...pretty sure they're the lucky ones. Anyone who aspires for something greater...they will be miserable.
Typically speaking, most of the people who work in post production on a feature film are White middle class guys. A few I've seen are the same crowds that go to Jimmy Buffet concerts. They tell Dad jokes. They're okay with making a simple paycheck and supporting the family. Don't you envy them?
Me, on the other hand, have to know why I'm doing something. In this military style work environment, no one cares why you want to know. In fact, most will tell you to shut up and push a button. Not tell me though, I know why I'm doing something and ask questions to my hearts content. A few stragglers I can tell seemed to have wanted to do something in their youth. They're the ones who give you a nudge to keep making stuff. The others would rather you didn't show them how creatively failed they become. Who knows, maybe a few women there write sexy dime novels.
The issue is, they've fulfilled their lives with other things. Family, for instance. In the film business, your crew and cast become your family. In post production, they prefer never returning to the office unless necessary.
I once asked a co-worker why he came in after hours to work on a company project and didn't clock in. He told me it was to keep their department moving, so that he doesn't get laid off from work. He works without pay, to be a martyr. He has no interest in what he does other than to make sure it survives.
If this is your world...you are ready to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment