Monday, February 18, 2019

Being The Best Social Media

There's been an influx of models and former models who have kids now who re-affirm their child's looks, mostly girls, that they are beautiful the way they are. That having a paunch or a bent nose or too tall or too short...reaffirmation...

Hey airhead, DUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH... these are the same idiots who are giving them Botox, stomach staples, and most likely giving them complexes when they broadcast how insecure their child is.
I know we've been griping incessantly on how social media is driving women to unrealistic ideas of attractiveness. Here's a few facts that you have to get use to:
1) you aren't the prettiest person in the room
2) you aren't the smartest person in the room
3) you aren't the most talented person in the room

You never will be. That's the reality. That being true, do the best version of YOU. The whole idea of unique isn't that you can act like a fucking retard. It's that you have a voice and can express to the public (if you wish). Billions of people are much more talented and attractive than me. Truth. That being said, I choose to focus on what I can do for myself. That's being a teacher (sort of) and filmmaker. The unique part isn't what I do, but that I am doing something.
Last night, whilst smoking cigars, I met a fascinating young man who was traveling the world. He works as tech support and can work remotely. He was booking a flight to Peru when we struck up a conversation about life. As a young man, he is prone to the constant comparison to his age group. The women have sexy photos and the guys pretend they are rich and globe trekking. This dude actually was. If not to get a different perspective. OR the walls of this country were closing in. I got the impression the wanderlust of humans are folded up now behind a screen. I'm guilty. Love living through the eyes of people who travel. Though, what I've heard are "what can I do to get more eyes on my Instagram page." This is devastating to anyone with ambition. You aren't doing things for yourself and losing your unique perspective in the process. Catering to the masses who may like the phony you is not what makes people rest well at night.
I asked a friend recently "what do you think will fill that void in your life." I know what she wanted to say...a guy she was hung up on. I know that feeling. I sensed that as well. Leaning on the support of someone else because you needed constant affirmation you matter. NO ONE...I repeat NO ONE knows your value but you. It's been years, of myself, at the mercy of these thoughts. I understand. We can't allow others to assign us value.
And it's near impossible, if you are a social media staple. Such as these "influencers." They prey on our own insecurities (though they don't know this is what is happening).
I would say, focus on your own peace. Jealousy and envy are what these sites instill. That we are missing out on more adventures. Much like the young man, I don't think he understands that wherever you goes, he still is him. You can't outrun that regardless of how many trips you take. How many injections of Botox you give yourself.
Men and women need to accept some life's truths before we can stop fully judging based on looks (we know its impossible). But I like being surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment