Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Burt Reynolds

A friend had informed me of a Burt Reynolds month at one of our favorite reparatory theater here in Los Angeles. I borrowed "The Last Movie Star" at the library, which is essentially Burt's apology before his recent death.
The story of "The Last Movie Star" is about a, Vic Edwards (Burt Reynolds), an elderly film star at the twilight of his years who, at one point, was the biggest star ever for five years straight. He is honored at a film festival, but when he shows up, he realizes it's a tiny celebration held at a bar in his honor by some hipster college aged kids with a love of irony. Livid, he demands to be taken back to the airport but is then sidetracked to revisit his hometown.

This movie is very meta in Burt's career, as it also reminds you through showing clips of really famous Burt Reynolds films. Melancholy and bittersweet, it's the movie Burt wanted to tell his fans that he couldn't say in person. And I wonder these things constantly when I go to The Hollywood Show. This is a celebrity show from t.v., rock and film fans that have young faces who want to meet old faces. Every time I go, there is this sense of melancholy mixed with bittersweet. To many of future actors, a lot can be gained from learning from the old. Fame doesn't mean you're rich. And most would rather be famous and poor then rich and a nobody...as Burt is fond of saying. I love the shows but at the same time, as I've said in past blogs, it's REALLY difficult to come to terms with your fame that ends in a ballroom near the Los Angeles International Airport. In my mind, they are there to see the fans.
I got to meet one of my favorite James Bond girls, Maryam D'Abo. She seemed distant when I approached but forced a smile. We had a very awkward conversation as to how to sign my photo. And she corrected my grammar, which was really endearing. She also seemed not interested in going into detail about much. This guarded attitude I've experienced more than once.
"How was it to work with Timothy Dalton?"
"Fine. He's nice."
"Um...he's on some show now right?"
"I think so. I'm not sure."

And so forth. I imagine Burt being much more dismissive to his previous fans. Though in movies, his smirk and working class hero permeated the screen. In life, I think he was more troubled than we realized. A few things Burt hasn't ever mentioned is a suicide on his way to meet an actress (Inger Stevens) . This has been buried in his storyline. And he's never spoken of it...ever. Also his long term relationship with Dinah Shore, who was nearly a decade older than him. These things draw up questions I doubt anyone wants to answer. So it seemed Maryam owed me nothing. Fandom is most likely darker for women than for men.

The point of pointing out Burt Reynolds is...I believe a prideful man exists in the mythical nature of Hollywood. Most have no shame. For Burt, in his later years, it felt he toggled in being irrelevant. A term which drives the careers of Warren Beatty or Clint Eastwood (both Burt Reynolds has beaten at box office). I think he felt most on display with his openly hostile attitude towards Paul Thomas Anderson on "Boogie Nights" which he didn't fully own up to in his book. He seemed to have drawn a clearer picture when he attacks the ones who love him the most in "The Last Movie Star." It seemed to be his apology for being so blind as to not accept that people love him for the memories he's given us and not as some circus freakshow which most celebs at The Hollywood Show may feel.

This is a side of fame no one speaks about openly. Mostly because it probably sounds like whining on behalf of being famous...or known. Most emotionally retreat as to not face more rejection. This is why when people tell you that it takes a special kind of person to endure Hollywood, they probably mean the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment