Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Hiding Out At Movies

I've been going to a lot of movies lately. Movie theaters movies. And it's great. Mostly since I get out of work in the afternoon, I can catch some flicks whilst kids are still in school. I hate the digital projection but I like the people watching as I amble around soaking in the area around the theater. In particular a theater in Granda Hills, CA I've been frequenting. Has a nice sushi bar nearby. Has a ol' school Ralph's grocery store. And a FatBurger.

The theater itself is old but is man'd by really young folk. When you go to movies in the afternoon and you're below the age of 60, people often wonder what type of scum you are. When I went to see "Big Hero 6" I'm guessing they thought pedophile scum.

I often get concessions. I use to think they were overpriced and stupid. Nowadays, I can't function thru a flick without that fake butter. Or some salt. I guess it reminds me of my younger days. This day, the girl, who seemed in her 20's, took my request. I knew I wanted a medium popcorn but wanted to make her happy that she up-selled me:
Me: "Small popcorn, please"
No up-sell
Me: (sigh) "Make it a medium."
Girl: "Ya know for a dollar more you can get a hot dog?"
Me: "Wait, what? An extra dollar for a hot dog?"
Girl: "Oh yeah, since you bought the popcorn, add on of a hot dog is a dollar."
Me: "Gee, not sure, I did enough damage to myself this week."
Girl: "Oh yeah, I getcha'. I gotta' wait till pay day too."
Me: "uh...I meant physically. Ya' know health-wise?"
She blinked. Unmoved by what I said.
Me: "The crap I shove down my throat on a daily--not that I don't have the dough...nevermind, I'll take the hot dog."

So I guess to her, I'm the penniless hobo type.

No comments:

Post a Comment