Wednesday, November 5, 2014

In The Big City

I think people have a respect for people who can negotiate through a large city like Los Angeles. I often think about people I've met outside the city, places like Valencia, Bakersfield and beyond and they seem so much more...different than L.A. proper dwellers. I think a lot of it is a sense that they are tough mofos. That the stories of beating the odds to exist in this town is somehow winning.

It is and it isn't. There are a lot of people who live just to live. I see this in the faces. They drearily look out into the world waiting for the bus. Or eating at a coffeehouse. Or service area, living like you would in any other town. Except L.A. For some reason, I keep thinking there should be more "life" into the faces of people who live here. Then it dawned on me...it's not like it was a choice.

For a lot of us in the "entertainment" industry, we chose to be here. So our view of this town seems more skewed towards a drive to make something or be someone. This is enhanced by people on the outskirts who make things away from the big city. Somehow a guy in, say Oregon, who makes a movie and a person in Pacoima that makes a movie will have certain aspects to it that people figure out. Not just subject matter, but a certain feel to their storytelling. "No duh" you may say. But, I don't think too many people really consider taking product outside the walls of a big city and making it in a small one really does affect your movie making. In a small town like Cincinnati, people are so generous and kind. They will support you in whatever ways you can imagine. They would just like to be involved. What this creates is comfort. Comfort is nice when you live. Comfort seems to be deadly when you are trying to tell a story on film. It's uncomfortable, making movies. Because decisions are made that are made under duress. Time and money. Comfort creates lethargy. In a smaller town, because people are so supportive, it's difficult to rush folks. You can't cattle prod them. Or scream. The kindness must go both ways. Eventually, in some cases, this will not drive your project forward. You make due. You settle. You don't want to rock that boat.

This town is pretty cutthroat. But not to your face.

You know the ones I really hate? I mean, it grates on me because they're not even in this town hustling like the rest of us. The ones who were here years ago then give you their take on this town from a town outside of here. Like they somehow felt obligated to be the expert, when they couldn't cut it here themselves. Those are the ones that really get on your nerves. A TON of photographers who talk about L.A. from the past and how they once could've had "greatness." I think it bugs me the most, since I see a lot of that in myself...eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment