Thursday, November 20, 2014

Bill Cosby

I never watched his show. Never thought he was all that funny. But I completely understand why he is who he is. What I don't understand is how all these people are coming out NOW and accusing him of rape.

If you've ever worked in this business or really any office type setting, you understand that you have to watch yourself nowadays. Nothing is what it seems. And people aren't as naive as you believe. A lot of celebrities hides themselves deep into their entourage. When I first started out, I use to laugh at these pretentious goons. Who are they trying to impress? It wasn't that at all. It was to keep as many witnesses as possible in case some groupie made their way into your room. They can't live like we do. We don't have a lot for people to think we're worth accusing of rape or assault or whatever. That doesn't mean you should. Just means on the other end, we also don't rape or assault. No money in any of it. The minute you put in a billion dollar face into the picture, then it elevates this to another level.

Take in point, Janice Dickenson. Self-appointed first super model. In her day, she was a stunner. Men probably threw gold at her. Must be tough. She claims Cosby invited her up to Lake Tahoe with a promise to further her career and then plied her with wine, pills and then sexually assaulted her.

A few common sense issues...Yes, I realize he was Dr. Huxtable, but he wasn't in 1982. He was a comedian from Philly. Last I check, Janice isn't a Catskills huckster. Exactly what would furthering her career mean, if it wasn't shaking her stuff for men? Not an excuse, just...common sense. Also, Tahoe? If you've ever been, it's...quaint. So quaint people have quickie marriages there. Sorta' like the west coast Niagra Falls. People can't seem to NOT get married or do bad things there. Both are a spit away from Canada. Suppose that may have something to do with the behavior. But it is a romantic spot. Moreso in the 80's. Common sense.

Now, decades ago, the Cos paid these people to go away. I think the number has gotten over ten. And I stand by what I said in previous blogs...once you get paid, you're done. We can't help you after that. An abused woman who goes back to their husband (fights tooth and nail sometimes to keep the guy from being incarcerated) can't help you, once you take the money. Not a judgement about who you are, but the way you see your life. I don't expect anyone to help me if I go back to drinking. Of course, people would be concern. But I can't waste people's time if I choose to constantly put myself in those situations.

I feel bad for Cos. He's done a lot for the community. He probably did do what people said he did. But they took the money and now destroyed his career. His legacy is that of a predator. Good or bad. Most of us guys, based on what we've said in the past (most definitely in entertainment) should be incarcerated for what we've thought. He's really supported education and helping inner cities. He's a LOT more savvy than I will ever be. Again, I'm not apologizing for what he's done. Just seems that, once again, something that doesn't really effect us one way or another gets so much outrage. Of course, I'd be accused of not caring about victims. I'm sure if any one of us (man or woman) knew these people, we'd drop the act fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment