Monday, July 14, 2014

You Should Hope People Get Beyond You

Years ago I was a gaffer on a short film called "The Vest." I was suggested to it by a fellow film school friend. Now, I'd run small projects before, never doing electric though. It was strange that I was recommended to this project. Only that the cinematographer was also a fellow alum.

I was saddled with a crew I was very unfamiliar with. It was such a low budget project, we just had to get who we got. I recall my best boy electric was a guy named Erik Messerschmidt. Very stoic fellow. Barely cracked wise, like we all did. Erik was always next to me. He'd be the first to respond to my request. First to have things before I even knew I needed things. First...well, just attuned to everything going on in the electric world. Man, the guy was pro. Me? I had my eyes on camera work (for the future) so electric didn't interests me in the least.

I recall an incident where one of the electricians griped to me about his attitude. Erik took the job SERIOUSLY. To a point where I was confused as to why anyone would spend this short amount of time treating a short like it was a union job. I did really appreciate it, and had to tell this electrician that maybe we should just all stop goofing off and deal with it.

The short was shot. The movie came and went. We all went our separate ways. About a decade later, I hear of his name again. It's not one you really forget. He's moved on. To bigger and better alright. To date, he's on the biggest movies as chief lighting technician "Iron Man 2" & "Gone Girl" to name a few.

He's, in essence, surpassed me ten fold. And will more than likely move on to become a known cinematographer. I take great pride in knowing we've worked together in the past. To see that work ethic in practice is inspiring.

It does, however, spotlight my own reluctance to throw myself back into the pool. Definitely shows my laziness. Y'know that old adage that you fear success? I don't fear success, but I sure am confused when it comes around. And brushed past me.

No comments:

Post a Comment