Thursday, July 17, 2014

Why You Make Movies

I can say without hyperbole that I am presently working on the biggest movie in the next few years. Big, I would consider an understatement. Yes, it's a brag. But it gets to my point of how humble one should be in this industry. Or really, how I should be.

On any given day when trouncing through parts of Los Angeles, you will come across the quintessential "film looking geek." They usually will wear a superhero shirt of some kind, possibly an ironic tee ("ABBA tour 1999") and don on beach shorts. If you really want to really dive off the douche cliff, the pork pie hat and facial hair to boot. These dudes are usually carrying some rucksack. Most likely a military surplus M.A.S.H. satchel made to be cutesy even though you're suppose to be a dude. The true giveaway is the yammering that they do about movies. Projects they're doing with their friends. Or criticizing others' projects. Or worse, waxing about who should've been casted as whom.

Man...this is the one that gets me. Here are some established filmmakers who've collectively made over billions of dollars, reduced to some fuckhead with a Apple laptop questioning their decisions. As if they weren't given a chance to make the movie because their genius has been overlooked. NO ONE FUCKING CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION. Yeah, shitbag...tell Spielberg why "Minority Reports" didn't work for you and this is how it should've been fixed. Because god knows they didn't spend ten years on a project for some 'tard at Starbucks to have the key. Here's an idea...MAKE A FUCKING MOVIE YOURSELF. Then decide whether you belong in their rarified air.

Frankly, I'm shocked as to the reservation these filmmakers (who've made these iconic movies) have for not telling these fuckers to go fuck themselves. Or rather, have them watch their lousy movies and give them pointers. God, would I have loved to get Kurosawa's opinion on my thesis project.

Anyway, I'm fortunate to be working on these upcoming movies. They remind me why I got into it to begin with. BUT also unearth the hate I have for people who haven't done anything but say so much about the "business."

No comments:

Post a Comment