Friday, July 18, 2014

Never The Hollywood Person

When I was in my late 20's I remember just finishing graduate school. I met a really great collaborator and friend there. We'd done so many projects in film school together. He's a go-getter, ended up gettin' his own business outside of "the industry." He's married and much happier now. Away from Hollywood. Anyway, he was also, strangely, a connected guy. So much so we attended Adam Brody's "The O.C.") birthday party.

I was told it was at this bar called "Bronson Bar." Expecting to see a real bar...nope. It's a hole in the wall at the base of what looks like a crack den hotel with NO signage, no lights. Nothing. Not even an indication there was even a bar there. Once inside, it was filled to the brim with young ridiculously attractive people. A makeshift bar with overpriced beers in coolers. It looked like a casting call for "The O.C." My ugly mug navigated through young beautiful Hollywood, in sketchy shit-hole Bronson. Man, everyone I saw, I wanted to punch in the face. Because...you can tell they were there to be someone or be seen by someone.

Anyone, I was introduced to Adam. Cool enough person. Really low-key. Zero personality. I'm sure if I were actual friends, we'd have a conversation. But...I just felt REALLY uncomfortable being around everyone. I'm really not sure I feel this way about this crowd. But it may have something to do with high school. See, Hollywood, is essentially, adult high school. popular kids hang with popular kids. And everyone wants to be popular. Or at least be perceived as popular. Fuck if I know that shit. I was never popular. Never really seen. I'd probably be that guy if I snapped people would be like "he was so quiet." I was always a behind the scenes guy. Loved putting beautiful people in projects, because it always validated my tastes. Like if I discovered someone, I'd be a God. Yeah, lofty and stupid. Whatever.

I still do this shit. I shoot with models. Pimp people out when I can. Because, in a strange sense, their success is my success. I know this isn't the case a LOT of the times. From what I'm reading from tell-all tomes. Their success means you're S.O.L. Which is fine. Whatever. Deep down inside, I know what's what. They know it too.

This is the price of being around celebrity. Dunno why anyone would subject themselves to it, but I'm sure once you get so deep into it, you forget yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment