Monday, July 21, 2014

Skye McCole Bartusiak

Wow. Just wow. Not but a few days ago I wrote a blog about "The Vest" and here we are now. Skye passed away last night. It's unbelievable to me. Mostly because she was so very young. But much more so that she was such a kind friendly unbelievably talented child actor. She was 21.

Now before many people lead to the typical Hollywood conclusion of drug O.D. or suicide or whatever. I can only tell you, whenever I meet a new up and coming actor and they ask me about "the business." I tell them about Skye.

She was only 10 when I met her. A spry blonde girl with tons of energy. I was fresh from film school. And got myself on this gig because the cinematographer and I were friends. I was the gaffer. Skye was great. Her energy drove the production. I wish I could say this was just me being kind to someone who passed away, but she honestly did.

There wasn't a day she didn't show up to play. Meanwhile, as the rest of us where exhausted, angry, bored, hungry and all the trappings of set crap, she was bouncing around...as a child was suppose to. Her mom was actually very very kind to me. A Texas gal. Real straight shooter, protective of Skye, without the nightmare of being a stage mother. In fact, she made it a point to stay mostly off set. I recall having a conversation with her about her daughter. I was so impressed with her professionalism. It came down to working with THE best. Michael Douglas and Mel Gibson. I could tell at that point, they'd given her a modicum of what it means to conduct yourself professionally. She had it down pat. In fact, she taught us a thing or two about keeping your head in the game. In one particular scene, I remember the director asking her for another "angle" on her dialogue. Take one. Boom! Nailed it. Take two. Boom! It was different and she nailed it again. Take three...another different version. Boom! Nailed it! I felt so sorry for the editor. Because each version she did WORKED. So many choices.

I also remembered a time where, it was late in the day, and her assistant/makeup artist had fallen asleep on set. Skye wanted some water. You perk to children's voices on set. Especially as an electrician. My first response was to wake up her asst/MUA. She threw up her hands and stopped me "No, let her sleep. It was pretty long day yesterday." Then, and I will never forget this, as she was going to get her own water, she announced if she could get water for anyone else. Let me repeat this, she was, as number one on the call sheet, offering to get water for the crew. I could not believe it. I completely fell in love with this kid. When I got home, I told everyone about this kid. Amazing. My electrician friend B.C. and I spent the rest of the shoot just marveling how someone so young could have this much talent and be so down to earth. Me?...I'd be a total shit. They'd start calling me one of the Coreys.

Skye could've been a massive star. Unfortunately, she started too early to be Jennifer Lawrence, but too old to be Ellen Page. But...I don't think it was ever in her radar. I think she just liked it in the background of her life. That she made it NOT to be her main focus. I respect her so much for that.

Man, I still can't believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment