Tuesday, March 1, 2022

The Ides Of March

Does anyone watch the Academy Awards anymore? I think the older I get the less I care. Only because I don't think there is such a thing as "BEST" anything. Movies are subjective and therefore, what's best to you isn't best to someone else. There are really well made movies. For the most part, awards are now given to the most socially conscious. Which is why America doesn't give a fuck anymore. "Don't Look Up!" was nominated this year for Best Picture. I can think of many other movies that could've used that slot, in order for it to get some notoriety so people will watch. A movie that has Leo DiCaprio and Jen Lawrence is going to get their viewership. I would hope the powers that be would want to spotlight smaller movies that actually deal with human condition. My friend's film "Blue Bayou" got a lot of early heat, then disappeared. And my favorite of last year was "Red Rocket" which is pretty damn funny flick. The type of offbeat funny that should've gotten more attention. America caught on to Hollywood's agenda years ago. It just keeps getting more and more woke. So now they've taken to even not air certain awards and their speeches. They shaved film editing, costume and sound design. And the guilds and unions are up in arms. They still have those awards, only that they won't air them for some reason. I would say cut the fucking stupid ass musical numbers. That shit is annoying. Stops the show cold for songs that are truncated anyway. Perhaps this is to rake in...music people? Tell that to the Grammys. Which no one watches. I would also get rid of the short films thing. Animation or live action. Yeah, cool for those categories but no one fucking cares. I've expressed this in the past, but I would just give out one award. Writing. Just writing. NOTHING gets done without a story. Acting is translating words. Directing is translating words. And all those other awards are to support...the words. And yet writers are shat on, all...the...time. Problem is, writers are as glamorous as wallpaper. Most are ugly and no one wants that. I drove by Hollywood Boulevard today and saw some hullabaloo around the streets. Suppose they are gearing up for the Oscars. The only I could say that's great about it is, that it gets famous people to congregate all in one area. I mean, they schedule their lives to attend. It's just a damn party. Which we use to have but don't do anymore. It use to be so lively. I don't think Oscars mean as much as they use to. To some stars of the past, like George C. Scott, they never did matter. The anticipation and build up meant more than the award itself. To most Americans watching rich famous people espouse their political views is a boner killer. As is Meryl Streep.

No comments:

Post a Comment