Wednesday, December 12, 2018

The Film Snob Part 2...

"What's your name?"
"Gary"
"You in film school?"
"Last year, sir."
The Director rubbed his beard. He took a bite of the danish "yeah, most film students get these things. Know the references."
Gary smiled. Finally someone who understood.
"You know, Gary...I did a short film back when I just finished school. It won an award, and some putz in the high chair saw it because his son went to the same school as me. And he had to go to the screenings. The guy was some big cheese at the studio. He liked what I did. Asked me if I had a script."
"Yes, sir! I read all about it in 'Premiere' magazine."
The Director chewed thoughtfully "you have to have a script. Script is everything."
"Oh, I'm with you."
"These assholes wouldn't know Godard from Fassbinder"
"They sure wouldn't" Gary was gaining momentum.
"Yeah, that's a Godard line. In French it obviously sounds different. Glad you spotted it."
"Thank you!"
"Thing is, Gary, is it?"
"Uh-huh" something grew cold in the room
"There are film fans and film makers"
Gary looked puzzled. Unsure what to say.
"Film fans spend an entire lifetime studying film but don't know shit about making 'em."
"I see."
"Do you, Gary?"
Gary took a moment. More glad that the Director didn't seem much in a hurry to leave.
"And I had a feature script ready" The Director beamed.
Gary smiled excitedly "Oh I've written four feature screenplays. Yep, I read all about it. Always write and write and write" Gary seemed to be rattling
"Easy kid, I'm sure you are a great student. And have that ambition."
"I do" Gary spat out
"I was invited to the studio after he saw my film. That place was huge" The Director seemed wistful. A glimmer of...nostalgia.
"...script in hand. I knew I could pitch this fucker." Gary was truly excited now.
The Director took another bite of his danish "...and I pitched the shit out of it."
"I'm sure you killed it."
The Director smiled and nodded "even at that age, I certainly was good at tap dancing. Knew he couldn't say 'no' Boy was he impressed."
"That was the first feature you ever made?" Gary knew the film. It was in all the trades. The wonderkid who landed his first feature. The new Orson Welles"
"Well sure kid, then the producer, my classmates Pop stood up, thought he was gonna shake my hand, unzipped his pants and told me to suck his cock."
Gary paused. Did he hear what he thought he heard. He thought he may have been staring for too long.
"What?"
"The faggot wanted me to suck his cock."
Gary took a step back. Unsure.
"After I a moment, I did. Then he fucked my ass."
The Director must've saw the ghastly expression on Gary's face. Offered a weak smile "you wanna be a film fan or a film maker. Thanks for the danish, kid."
The Director disappeared back into the darkness.
Heidi, watching the figure move away, quickly scrambled to Gary.
"What did he tell you? Shit, he spent a lot of time. Must've been really impressed by you."
Still stunned Gary stood silent. A beat too long for Heidi to bear "Well?!"
"He told me he's willing to read my script."


"Ready to roll. Last looks!" cried the fat assistant director "roll sound...roll camera...Action!"

No comments:

Post a Comment