Monday, August 24, 2015

The 11th Hour- Story of The Making Of "The Targets" pt. 3


When it came time to negotiate my day rate, I had no clue as to what to ask for. I didn’t have an agent or management, so that didn’t help. I eventually went into the office to sign the deal memo. To which Lizette told me “you and Mark have your own deal. He wanted to speak to you directly about it.” It occurred to me that we didn’t even speak about money.
It was like being called to the principal’s office. I sat there wondering what a sensible rate was. I started calculating backwards. “If a grip makes $75 on a low-no budget movie, then a cinematographer should get five times that?” That sounded about right.
I met Mark in his office one afternoon. He leaned back in his chair, clearly not one to waste formalities asked “How much you thinking?” It occurred to me, HE didn’t know what a cinematographer day rate was either. To not sound stupid, I threw out the easiest number I can think of (in order to calculate with days). I blurted out “$1000 a day.” I thought he was going to laugh me out of the office. He took a moment. Scribbled something on a piece of paper and simply said “okay.” That was the end of the meeting. We were shooting for 30 days, so that would be $30,000, see how easy it was. No wonder people have managers to negotiate this very uncomfortable talk. I learned later that Mark made triple that per day in stunt work or as a coordinator. But we were talking about a studio movie. NOT low budget. There was just no bar set. Or he just didn’t know how to do it any other way.
One thing I can say about the production side of movies, as far as vendors go, they really like helping out up and coming talent. Why not? If you make it, they make it and what they lose besides time. Their investment in you is that if you found them, more than likely they will be considered for future projects. I developed very close connections to the film lab and camera rental house. These connections and “loyalties” are essential in support in progressing. I know one cinematographer who has been shooting for over 30 years using the same rental house. The longer you’re with them, the more they cater to you. This extends to the crew you use too.
My gaffer and I would continue to show up to the Burbank office checking in regularly to see the progress. Lizette looked so whacked. She ended up bringing in another assistant to take over some of the Screen Actor’s Guild paperwork. Everything submitted to anywhere in L.A. at that point tended to costs an average of $300. Every time you filed anything, best have $300 on hand. You wanna hear a nightmare?…insurance for a project like this probably costs a quarter of the total budget. Every stunt you added, piece of equipment, location, personnel, practical effects, etc…insurance companies bump you into another bracket. If you don’t have a track record with a specific insurance agent, then your deductible will be enormous.
Boring shit aside, I dug up a storyboard artist in hopes of showing the director Herman what we intended to do. The guy was just starting out, so he got paid per page. He made some great stuff, but it just took too long to map out. We were shooting in about a month. We eventually dropped him, unfortunately, since Herman had no clue as to how to establish the “look” of the movie. A month turned to a few weeks. That’s when I started to feel ill…

No comments:

Post a Comment