Sunday, August 2, 2015

"Return Of The Living Dead" (1985)

I am so grateful I got to see this on film with fans of the film. I recall seeing the VHS box when I was a kid and thinking it was a direct sequel to "Night Of The Living Dead." I was confused as to why it was in color. They do make references to George Romero's movie (but I've heard he's unhappy with that piggyback without paying residuals. Or should I say James Russo (writer/producer) has made off handed comments about the ripoff.

And what punks were doing in it. 80's punks are funny. Also, the mix bag of a gang were even funnier. Did they have to explain it back then? You only have to see "Tuff Turf" or "Class of 1984" to realize the ridiculous nature of movies back then.

The movie isn't good. It's campy good. If that's good to you, that's good then. But if I'd watched it alone I'd want to poke out my eyes. But with this dedicated crowd, I was enamored by their appreciation. Ordinarily, a cult status movie is made so by its dedicated fans. It seems they all seemed to respond to similar things. By looking at the audience, it was somewhat of a mixed bag. This is really fascinating, since I feel loving the same silliness in a movie is just as valid as enjoying expertly done movies. And we're not talking about schlubs though. Dan O'Bannon is a solid writer. He also has that similar love of EC Comic oddity that that era of writers/directors loved. Campy. And he knew it. As did his fellow filmmakers of that era and genre. The appreciation is for the over-the-top acting...which is done in "Tales From The Crypt" as well. I love these types of early comic movies because they had a moral backbone to them. Karma and shit.

This movie has none of that, but does relish in stage lighting, snap zooms, the compressed spaced zoom in dolly out. That is tongue firmly in cheek. You may never get a chance, but watch it with a bunch of people. It is that type of movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment