Thursday, August 20, 2015

Credit Where Credit Is Due

My friend made a movie, and completely left me off the credits. I essentially scanned all 9 hours of his footage for him to make a feature. In dollar amount, you're looking at roughly $8,000 worth of services. Personally, I didn't really care. I like people who are nutty in their endeavors to work with film, so I was onboard no matter what. I mention it now, because a person who did a lot for the movie certainly felt some massive slight for the work she did on it.

Screen/movie credits are a funny thing. Back when it took a lot of effort to burn your name into film, people jockeyed for position. You have to understand, this was a time when the only way they could see your name was at the movies. What it is now is just to show your crew you appreciate them. Luckily, I don't have many people in terms of crew, so it's easier for me to remember. But I understand how some people get rabid for being forgotten. A lot of people in this town are already marginalized, just to have it be done by someone you did a favor for is a more sour apple.

I remember going to a screening for a friend's documentary. I'd done ONE day of shooting on it. I caught him after the screening and jokingly told him "Hey, my credit wasn't on the screen."
"Yah, it was. I made sure."
"Nope. I would've seen it. Remember that interview at the house? That was what that was for, huh?"
"No, I swear it's there." His girlfriend confirmed it wasn't. "No, it is."
He looked after getting home. It wasn't. He re-did it with new titles with my name added, plus re-did the DVDs (as they were already pressed). Made me sign a release too. All because I was just joking. I didn't care, since it's pretty much lost in the other 50+ credits. But people are serious about that shit. So be careful.

Incidentally, a short film I'd scan for this kid from Chicago gotten into L.A. International Short Festival. It's a biggin' up in these parts. And yes...I am in their scrolling credits. So I guess, you just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment