Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Nearing The Locked Picture

A frame here, a frame there. Does it make a difference? It may. A few frames, definitely does. When it is coming to the finish of a picture lock on your movie, it is the decision as to what you can or can't live with for the hours you will spend watching it. I have no idea how people who make features do it. To me, I'd lose every perspective, throw my hands in the air, and just...go hide somewhere (to work on the next thing). It must be paralyzing for people. Especially since the "big dog" movies also have the pain of worrying about whether or not it can make money too. Forget a minor eye blink or a reaction, we're looking for a hit so you CAN make the next one.

Oh, the indecision that comes with finally saying your movie is complete. A lot of time, they aren't. Director's will unlock their picture if they just can't live with themselves about a dumb nagging problem. Much of the time it could be something as insane as a hair out of place (David Fincher digitally removed bangs from Mara Rooney in "The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo...for in insignificant scene...I mean to me it was...anyway you get the idea).

I still watch through movies from my film school days and regret the things I should've/could've done. Does it make it a better movie? Not really. You just have to let it go once it's gone to the sound mixer and composer and everyone else that has nothing to do with you. But...every frame counts. It's down to that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment